Thursday, May 19, 2011

Praise God in the storm....and rain......and wind.......

God lets out all the stops, he holds nothing back.
No one can mistake that voice—
His word thundering so wondrously,
his mighty acts staggering our understanding.
He orders the snow, 'Blanket the earth!'
and the rain, 'Soak the whole countryside!'
No one can escape the weather—it's there.   Job 37: 5 – 7 The Message Bible




Currently I am reading the Bible in Chronological order.  Right now I am reading in Job. In the verse above, a young man is rebuking Job’s whining.  These verses hit me today because I have been whining about all the rain we are getting. 



Then further on I read God’s comments to Job which begin:



"Why do you confuse the issue?
Why do you talk without knowing what you're talking about?
Pull yourself together, Job!
Up on your feet! Stand tall!
I have some questions for you,
and I want some straight answers.
Where were you when I created the earth?
Tell me, since you know so much!
Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
Who came up with the blueprints and measurements?
How was its foundation poured,
and who set the cornerstone,
While the morning stars sang in chorus
and all the angels shouted praise?
And who took charge of the ocean
when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb?
That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
and tucked it in safely at night.
Then I made a playpen for it,
a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose,
And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'  Job 38: 2 – 11



So, today when I am tempted to whine about the rain, I will remember who is in charge.  Who it is that brings the rain, and while I don’t know His reasoning, I don’t have to know, because He is the one in charge.  He knows why we need this rain, even if it’s to remind us that He is in charge of our life and our schedule and our environment, not us.  We need to praise Him in the storm, and boy is it storming around here!

No comments: